Friday, January 2, 2009

New Years, Audrey, and Baking

I usually spend New Years with a fun group of people, doing not-so-crazy things, but definitely having a bit of a good time.  This year, I decided to take it down a notch and just let it be me and Audrey...Hepburn that is.  Yes- I hadn't spent much time with Audrey since I'd arrived in the Big City, and I was beginning to miss her a bit!  So I whipped out my two absolute favorite movies: Breakfast at Tiffany's and My Fair Lady.  I believe when the clock struck twelve, I was enjoying "Just you wait 'Enry 'Iggins" while brushing my teeth.  Gotta love that Audrey!

New Years' has also welcomed in a more (gasp) domesticated Michelle.  Anyone whose known me awhile will tell you without even having to think about it that I don't bother with cooking.  Well, I don't know if it's the challenge of it here, but I've been cooking pretty often.  In fact, the most exciting thing that's happened to me in recent weeks (other than stuff of eternal value...hello!)  is that I got an oven.  Yes, I got an oven, and I was actually giddy about it!  It's more like a conventional oven than one that I'm used to in the States (hence the challenge), and I've baked something in it almost everyday this week! My first project was chocolate chip cookies, which is by no means the easiest thing to make in the Big City.  They don't sell chocolate chips here.  But thanks to JK, I got a pack of "just add butter and egg" mix (my favorite way to bake!)  I made three batches, and they all came out differently because I still didn't know how to use my "special" oven.  Then, I ventured into breads by making a beer bread (ate it all before getting chance to take a picture).  And tonight, I made an apple crumble (still working on mastering that one). 


So with Audrey Hepburn and strange things coming out of my oven, the New Year's looking to be off to a good start! 

No comments: