Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Odd Things on the Street

When you live in a foreign land, you expect to see and hear unfamiliar things.  But here are two things I saw the other day that really made the "that's not right" flag go up:

1. Kid with pants down.  The other day I passed by two kids walking together on the street.  They were wearing the same winter outfit (cuz it's about 20 degrees here).  The only difference: one had his pants up (normal) and the other had his pants halfway down (not normal).  Oh, and there were no signs of parents nearby.  Still scratching my head over that one.  

2.  Woman with an IV in her arm.  On my way to the market I saw a woman walking calmly walking with an IV in her arm and a man next to her holding up an IV bag.  I'm not a doctor, but shouldn't you be in a hospital (or rushing to one) while that thing's flowing??? 

It's hard some times to know what unfamiliar situations are things I need to get used to (like seeing the same kid peeing next to a tree everyday on my way to school??); and what situations are totally fine to call weird (I'm thinking kids chillin' with pants down in 20-degree weather would qualify here).   Oh the joys of culture shock!
 

No comments: