Monday, December 1, 2008

The Discovery of Advent

Being away from home for the holidays is a bit difficult.  Today, I almost ran straight into a pity party, thinking about how alone I'll be in this new place for Christmas!  It won't be my first away from home, or even away from my family.  But it will be my first away from pretty much all things familiar.  

At the risk of sounding like a TV Christmas special, however, I have been the challenged to really remember what this season is all about.  It's certainly not about the trees or the trimmings, and really- it's not about spending time with loved ones either (although it's certainly a joy and blessing to do so).  It's about the celebration of the birth of our Savior and worshipping He who is the King of Kings and yet humbled himself to be born as a baby in the humblest of places.  How mind-blowing that is!

So, I've decided that this year, instead of getting into the spirit by watching movies or decorating my home, I'm going to prepare my heart a little better by counting down the Advent season.  I am going to make my very own Advent Calendar, which will hopefully share the truth about Christmas to all those who come into my home; and hopefully, I'll be able to remember the joy that is available to me this season. I was recently illuminated to the fact that we do the countdown of Advent to signify the OT, which essentially prepares for and "counts down" to the birth of the Savior!  Is there ANY better way to kick off this season than to prepare our hearts in this way?  

So for those who are wondering: yes- this is going to be a rough time of the year; I'm not gonna lie.  But at the same time, I take joy in Advent and the preparation to celebrate the coming of a King!

No comments: