Thursday, December 4, 2008

The coldest day EVER!!!!

This whole week I've been warned about the cold weather coming into the city on Thursday. Everyone was abuzz about it!  But when I woke up this morning, it was sunny.  I took into account what seemed to be manageable cold coming from my porch, which is encased in windows, but still a possible gauge of what the outside weather is like.  So I thought to myself, "How cold could the weather be?"  ....Um, stupid question!

The walk to school wasn't unbearable.  I mean, the numbness 5 minutes into the walk may have contributed to the fact that I couldn't really feel the cold all that much.  But the walk back from school could have possibly been the 10 coldest minutes I've ever experienced in my life!  Not only was the temperature cold, but there was cold-as-ice wind blowing in my face too!  It was as if my body tried to go numb, but the cold penetrated my numbness so that I could feel its fury. There was alas no defense against the cold, not even my three layers of clothing (tomorrow I will try four, maybe five)  My friend and I actually had to duck into a heated store halfway through our walk in order to survive our 10-minute walk to lunch.  

Given my weak-sauce reaction to the cold, I regrettably had to cancel my weekly visit to the coffee shop (that would've been a 15-minute walk, and I don't want to imagine what that would've felt like).  I did have a nice evening at home though, protected by concrete walls and a heating system that works wonderfully.  It also was a great time to contemplate a better defense against the cold tomorrow (Oh Lord have mercy!) 


1 comment:

CW said...

mishy, i had to comment and say that i sort of sympathize (sort of, because now i live in dallas, but still sympathize b/c i used to live in CZ). in CZ, i wore two layers of long underwear underneath my regular outside pants. i do not thinking wearing 4-5 layers is crazy.

the only problem with bundling up this way for the outside cold is that you can get sweaty if you walk a lot (which i did) or when you go inside and the perfect heating system makes it 75 degrees inside.

love,
carol